Large ISPs doing NAT?

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Wed May 1 21:55:02 UTC 2002

I don't know if this is an annual argument yet, but the frog is in the
pot, and the flame is on.  Guess who's playing the part of the frog?
Answer: ISPs who do this sort of thing.  Value added security is a nice
thing.  Crippling Internet connections will turn the Internet into the
phone company, where only the ISP gets to say what services are good and
which ones are bad.  While an ISP might view it appealing to be a baby
bell, remember from whence we all come: the notion that the middle should
not inhibit the endpoints from doing what they want.  You find this to be
a support headache?  Offer a deal on Norton Internet Security or some
such.  Offer to do rules merges.  Even offer a provisioning interface to
some access-lists.  Just make sure that when that next really fun game is
delivered on a play station that speaka de IP your customers can play it,
and that you haven't built a business model around them not being able to
play it.

Eliot