Help with bad announcement from UUnet

Rachel K. Warren rachel at plur.net
Sat Mar 30 18:03:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 12:07:06PM +0000, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> Why should they talk to you? You're not a paying customer..
>
> I get very upset when customers of customers start phoning us up..

This really bothers me.

So, if you are starting to have a major outage because of a
configuration change, or a circuit goes down, or whatever else might
happen, and the first person who contacts you is not a customer, you
are going to ignore it, especially if your network tools haven't
picked it up yet?

In another lifetime ago I was working at a network where Gamer
Tickets (people playing Everquest and those types of games) would
sometimes see the problem before our network tools picked it up.  The
Gamers were not direct customers, but we worked on their problems,
because a portion of the time there actually was a problem with the
network that should be fixed immediately before our Big Customers Who
Paid The Company Lots of Money started to call and want SLA or threaten
to (and sometimes did) go to another provider.

You can also think of it in the respect of potentially making more money in
the long run.  If you provide some service to a non-customer and their
upstream doesn't provide any, there is a good chance these non-customers
turn into customers by purchasing service directly from you instead.

Rachel

--
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so
regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has