Help with bad announcement from UUnet

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Fri Mar 29 21:42:24 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Andy Walden wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> > Note that in both cases, b0rken-noc takes a single call, so their
> > load is unchanged.  The second case adds a call to both my-upstream-noc,
> > and b0rken-noc-upstream-noc.
> >
> > It would seem going direct would put a lower load on NOC's in general,
> > which presumably would let them spend more time on problems and provide
> > better service.
>
> Where is the limit though?
> Once I open things up to non customers, and let
> any random person call me, without any sort of filters or controls, what
> keeps my best guys from troubleshooting someone's mistyped SMTP server in
> their mail client? Processes are put in place to scale and when they are
> disregarded, things generally end up worse in the long run.

We are not talking about SMTP here, but about someone bogusly announcing
routes. I agree with you that your noc is not helpdesk for anyone but if
your noc announces bogus routes (which should originate from my AS) I
think I have every right to contact your noc and try to solve things.
Afterall, it is you doing somewthing wrong which affects my network.

To answer Randy's remark about scaling: this scales very well; the number
of AS-es are limited.

On the other side, I know how annoying it is if other people's customers
call you about their b0rked up Windows RAS configuration. That should not
happen, I am talking about professional noc-to-noc contact here which imho
should not be to bureaucratic.

--
Sabri Berisha
					"I route, therefore you are"