Help with bad announcement from UUnet

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Fri Mar 29 21:29:32 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Anne Marcel Roorda wrote:
>   Getting the person announcing this block to open a ticket with the
> NOC and including your contact details, as well as a clear description
> of the prolem would have been my first suggestion.

>From the sounds of it there was a problem getting hold of the person
announcing the netblock to uunet.

Not to mention how are you going to contact these people anyway? Remember
you are going from Noc to Noc, so you shouldn't be ringing them directly.

Seriously if somebody on the other side of the world started advertising
our networks (yes it has happened) I would contact them directly.

Real life example:

We currently advertise (under our AS) a /24 out of a larger block
belonging to a German University and route it to some customer in
Australia. It seems that when a professor moved to Australia he was
allowed to take the network with him (we queried this a lot when it first
showed up).

What happens if/when the University wants their network back and can't
contact the professor? Should they bounce their request through half a
dozen totally unrelated providers or just email/phone us?

The University know we are the problem and our contact details are easy
to find. Why should they go through half a dozen companies that have
nothing to do with what is going on just to contact us?

Lets pretend for some reason that I start advertising an important network
of yours (half your mail servers or your biggest customer). Are you really
going to tell your boss that you are not going to ring me directly but are
instead going to go through 5 disinterested 3rd parties to get to me?

Is you boss going to accept this may take a few hours/days or is he
instead going to just call us directly himself and then fire you?

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz
ihug, Auckland, NZ          | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz