Where does the buck stop?

Avleen Vig lists-nanog at silverwraith.com
Fri Mar 29 20:43:02 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I think method 1 is the best way to handle the situation.  Unfortunately,
> most of the time method 2 is what happens.  Eventually, someone will
> try method 3, and I don't want to be around when that happens.

I've worked at 2 ISP's in the last 3 years, both have been very good about
support to their customers and non-customers.
The ideologies were different but basically boiled down to:
  "If there's a problem on our network, let's just fix it."
Who REALLY wants to have a broken network?

It's unfortunate that monsters like UUnet have such policies in place that
allow them (internally) to have broken networks and not do anything about
it.

If  was going to pay UUnet prices for internet access, I'd want them to
fix a problem in their network regardless of the reporter.
In the above case the problem could have effected me also. Why should I
have to wait x periods of time before I realise it's broken, and then
another x periods of time before they get it fixed?

/me seems to remember the UDP put on UUnet quite a while ago, but it got
some action.
Maybe when number 3 happens, it'll wake some of these unclued people up?

When I take part in the management of a network, I like to know that I'm
doing everything I can to make sure the network is all it can be.
I can't count the sleepless times I've had, staying up to fix things just
so the customers won't notice, just so the internet could be a nicer
place.
It's sad not everyone shares the same ideologies.

I'd like to add the obvious 4th solution to your question:
    4) Providers accept complaints about their network regardless of the
       source and just fix them.

--
Avleen Vig
Work time: Unix Systems Administrator