Help with bad announcement from UUnet

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 29 17:00:56 UTC 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:43:26 EST, Leo Bicknell said:

> > > my-noc -> my-upstream-noc -> b0rken-noc-upstream-noc -> b0rken-noc

> It would seem going direct would put a lower load on NOC's in general,
> which presumably would let them spend more time on problems and provide
> better service.

The difference being that if the call comes from b0rken-noc-upstream-noc,
the guys at b0rken-noc have at least a snowball's chance of knowing the
person calling and whether they have any kloo.

If our NOC calls one of our upstreams and says "hey, ASnnn is sending you
bogons that you're forwarding to us", they tend to listen, and call the
guys at ASnnn and tell them to cut it out.  (Yes Leo, you know most of our
NOC monkeys, so you know what the chances are they're right about something ;)
On the other hand, if we call ASnnn directly, they have no way of knowing if
we're us, or if we're some bunch that thinks it makes sense to hang an AS
off a residential ADSL line...

Now, if we had a PGP-ish "web of clue", it would be different....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer