Not sure what I'm seeing... (Looking Glass Query)

Aaron Mahler amahler at sbc.edu
Fri Mar 29 06:01:50 UTC 2002

Hello!

   Hope nobody minds a quick question from a small, non-transit but BGP
aware AS...

   Since the day we started using multiple circuits and BGP I've always
seen multiple paths through each of our providers to our network (AS
19138). At least a few C&W (3561) and at least a few Network Virginia
(7066) via Sprint...

   For weeks or more now, every single looking glass save one shows -
for the most part - a single advertised path through C&W. No sign of
Sprint & Network Virginia. Even the Sprint looking glass shows no sign
of a Sprint path to us.

   The one exception is route-views.oregon-ix.net which shows about
50... almost all of which are C&W.

   If I pull down the C&W circuit, things shift and Sprint starts
showing up with multiple paths in all the looking glasses but will
remain that way after the C&W circuit comes back online until I bring
down the Sprint circuit. It seems to be one or the other... but never both.

   Is this not a big deal and I'm misreading the situation, or has
something changed for the worse somewhere in our advertising and
relationship with our providers? I can't seem to track down a cause.
I've certainly made no changes to my BGP tables and announcements upstream.

   For anyone interested in glancing at their routes for me, check
198.28.32.0/19 and AS 19138.

Thanks!
  - Aaron Mahler
Sweet Briar College

P.S. Feel free to yell at me if this post shouldn't be here. I've been
lurking for ages and enjoy following the discussions of the very
knowledgeable crew out there. Not sure what other forum to ask such a
question at this point...