Let's talk about Distance Sniffing/Remote Visibility

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Mar 28 15:02:01 UTC 2002

> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:27:02 -0600
> From: CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com

> I'd like to hear from the list as to what your preferred means
> of determining what the hell is going on at a packet level at
> the other side of a WAN/MAN/frame/etc link.
>
> It seems to me that the means available are A) a very expensive
> distributed NAI Sniffer installation B) standard RMON probes
> and the NMS of your choice and C) A linux box with a ton of
> interfaces running Ethereal accessed via Xwindows/VNC/whatever.

[ snip ]

"C" is close.  Not sure what you mean by "a ton of interfaces".
Most (all?) good managed switches have a "monitor port" or
"mirror port" where they can blind copy traffic from other ports
to the one that's set aside for snooping.

Four-port ethernet cards are readily available.  How many
switches do you wish to monitor simultaneously?  Even with only
four ports (more in one box is certainly possible), you can have
a fair amount of traffic to digest.

--
Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence