Exodus/C&W Depeering

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Mar 26 22:04:53 UTC 2002

| This isn't something I really care to make a big argument of, but my point
| was that for many ISPs, the path will go from:
|
|    SELF - EXODUS
|
| to:
|
|    SELF - OTHER BACKBONE - C&W
|
| for a net increase in average path length.

Are we talking AS_Path attributes here?  If so, all this means
is that now we don't announce OTHER BACKBONE routes to C&W/EXODUS,
which we probably weren't doing anyway.

Or are we talking forwarding paths, which are _different_ (and not
necessarily stable even in the presence of perfect AS_Path stability)?
If so, have we added any bottlenecks or sources of packet corruption?
If none have been added, a change in the number of links and routers
traversed is meaningless.
(Note that it is possible that the number of links and routers DECREASES).

	Sean.