How to get better security people

James Smith jsmith at PRESIDIO.com
Tue Mar 26 20:02:47 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: smd at clock.org [mailto:smd at clock.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:41 PM
To: lists-nanog at silverwraith.com; sean at donelan.com
Cc: Jml at ebay.com; nanog at merit.edu
Subject: RE: How to get better security people

| The problem right now is if you advertise for a job, you will get
| blasted with literally tens of thousands of resumes.  What should I
| be telling the HR department to look for?

New careers.

	Sean.
=============

That's the problem. Too many folks seeing the big money going to the tech
weenies, and upon taking an MCSE boot camp, think they now qualify for a
senior Admin/Security job. That and resume inflation, real or percieved. Too
much noise in the system and inefective noise reduction methods...

  My resume is factual, and when I got out of the military, I was penalized
by my first civilian employer. When I stated I could in fact set up a needed
DNS, I was told they would hire it out. I asked why hire it out when I could
do it. I was told, "we only believe half of any resume we get, and we don't
think that you have the necessary experience." If setting up and running
<deleted>.af.mil (now gone), and doing the very first <deleted>.af.mil DNS
located on the base (complete with off-site secondaries), and running it
until transitioned about a year later to the comm squadron folks I trained
didn't count, then what did?

Not bitter, though. Got a new employer...

James H. Smith II NNCDS NNCSE
Systems Engineer
The Presidio Corporation