Exodus/C&W Depeering

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Mar 26 18:11:38 UTC 2002

> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:47:57 -0500 (EST)
> From: Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>

> Since Exodus is mostly a webhoster, do they have an asymetric
> traffic flow.  Isn't bulk of the bandwidth is outbound from
> Exodus.  Won't this just increase the distance and AS count for
> Exodus outbound traffic, making Exodus hosting even less
> desirable?

Everyone who peer(s|ed) with AS3967 is supposed to purchase
transit from AS3561. ;-)

First 174, now 3967.  Yes, they're different scenarios, but it
seems that AS3561 has strong intentions to depeer.  Sure, they
can do as they please... but in whose best interest is it?

As networks continue to amalgamate and assimilate, it'll be
interesting to see what happens to carrier-neutral colo.  Will
the remaining "big players" pull out, telling customers "you come
to us"?

Some consolidation is inevitable -- and good.  But I wonder if,
come 2005, the Internet backbone will resemble how it was in
1995.  Will the members of the oligopoly lose interest in
maintaining decent peering, simply saying "you could reach us
fine if you bought transit from us"?

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence