1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise (fwd)

Len Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Tue Mar 26 04:27:56 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 11:05:21PM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:
> >
> > That is a falicy. Moore's law is most certainly not accelerating -- in
> > fact:
> >
> > 1965-1990 Moore's law stated that the number of transistors per square
> > inch on integrated circuits (and therefore, the speed) doubles every 2
> > years. The pace has since slowed down a bit, but appears to be holding
> > steady at doubling every 18 months (1995-present).
>
> Not to be too picky, but how is going from "doubling every 2 years" to
> "doubling every 18 months" slowing down? :)

Erm, yeah. Thanks for calling me on that -- I horribly condensed what I
was trying to say.

By the original definition (number of transistors per square inch doubles
every year), it has slowed to every 2.5 years. See the graph I linked to.

Data density is currently doubling every 18 months, and holding steady at
that rate.

(But this *is* off topic for NANOG...)