long distance gigabit ethernet

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 22 16:23:16 UTC 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Greg Pendergrass wrote:

> a. Does it work properly?

Finisar has GBICs that has ~30 dB budget, MRV used to have them as well,
but discontinued production and their newer ones only has 24 dB budget.
30 dB at .25 dB per kilometer means 120km which is approx 75 miles. That's
the longest unrepeated gige optics I have found so far.

The above is only for dark fibre (or CWDM solutions).

> b. Who offers it in the continental US?

I'd recommend you to buy a 2*GigE to OC48 converter/multiplexor and get
someone to provide you an 2.5 gig wavelength in their DWDM system, that
should be easy enough to find.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se