Network Outage

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Fri Mar 22 01:38:57 UTC 2002

Well, I used to be a contractor for MCI/WCOM, so I know all the numbers to
call and the names of people to ask for. They as a rule are very mysterious
about anything outage related. The first rule to get better service, is
always say OK to intrusive testing. I've had jacks go bad, and the bridge
point isn't a wholesome indicator and the fault can be 2 inches away.
Besides, I was hard down, all zeros, so it didn't matter.
After some arm twisting at Bell Canada, they confirmed it wasn't on their
side of the ditch, so I started calling people I know here. The usual
characters at the WCOM NOC were calling and leaving useless messages on my
answering machine, but I called Sardinia, and got them to check outbound,
towards Canada, and they said the T3 looked wholesome, but he couldn't
access it at T1 level. I did however, find my Ticket appended to some
others, so I knew it had to be at a bigger pipe than my T1. I know where
they can check at T1 level, at 3DE, (the old MFS site, where I used to
work) so I called, and a girl I worked with told me they had a DS3
cross-connect cable failure earlier, and it was repaired. I called over to
the transport desk, and they confirmed the circuit was outbound twords
Canada. I put two and two together and when I called the NOC back (they
hadn't called my pager as instructed when the cut was cleared) they said
the problem had been cleared and the circuit restored. Turns out, the NYC
stuff was independent of the Canada problem, (which was my top priority)
and the NYC stuff cleared on its own about 15 mins after I talked to
Sardinia. Never got a positive cause on that one, but its gone, so its ok
by me. Theyre stretched so thin on manpower now, and rumors are flying
theres to be another round of layoffs next week, groan.

Anyway, all the circuits are back and wholesome, so Im happy...back up at
4:10pm