Change management procedures

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at martin.fl.us
Thu Mar 21 16:57:18 UTC 2002

I'm interested in knowing if any service providers or commercial
data-centers have any publicly available information on what change
management systems and methodologies they use with their engineering staff
on production systems.

I've discussed this directly with a couple of operators and I'm now
interested in getting a larger outlook.

More specifically, I'm interested in knowing how often blocking-type (i.e.
group consent before change) change management is used vs logging type
(i.e. recording the change during/after the fact so the change can be
reverted, and for root cause analysis). Also, for blocking type change
management, I'd like to know how people deal with process latency,
emergency changes, approval group selection, etc (if indeed anyone uses
consent to manage top-tier staff, I haven't found anyone so far that does).

Thanks for any information.