Survey on IBGP persistent route oscillation problem

Yu Ning yuning at chinanet.cn.net
Thu Mar 21 09:00:06 UTC 2002

Hi,

We have a similar situation (RR + always-compare-MED off), and the BGP table
version keeps changing at 1K/min (http://performance.cn.net:2003/). I
suspect some
route meet the criteria of IDR-oscillation draft. But in real world, it's
very hard to pick
 up the pattern depicted in the draft from a huge log of debug bgp output.

After several sample from the huge bgp log, I have the following questions:

1.  How many time do our operator really find and affected by the problem
depicted
     in  draft-ietf-idr-route-oscillation-01.txt   £¿

2. From my experience, most flapping seems to be oscillation route which
escaped the
     eBGP damping protection. And for this, we need adjust damping
parameters from
     RIPE 220 to make up.

3.   Anyone see oscillation been magnified when injected into RR (cluster
structure) ?

4. What's the typical bgp table change rate within your network ? From my
observation at
   the major global looking glass, should be  below 0.5K/min with some
accidental surge.

regards,

Yu Ning

(Mr.) Yu Ning, Chief Engineer