Purpose of the Internet

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Mar 14 10:19:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Alan Hannan wrote:

>   With regards to the purpose of the internet, I recall reading
>   in the Prologue to _Where Wizards Stay Up Late_, by Katie Hafner
>   and Matthew Lyon, a true anecdote about Bob Taylor. The authors
>   quote Mr. Taylor as refuting that the purpose of the arpanet was
>   to provide communications in spite of a nuclear attack.

The arpanet was an experimental packet-switched network. The Airforce
commissioned Rand report (on distributed communications) is about
resilient packet-switched networks. They are related but by no means
co-terminus.

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary,
selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of
tyranny. - James Madison, Federalist Papers 47 -  Feb 1, 1788