ipnmoo (Re: CEOlink)

k claffy kc at caida.org
Thu Mar 14 09:44:12 UTC 2002

google: ipnmoo
(it's not really hiding)

it's many years old,
and inspired by the spirit originally intended
by craig's ipn-list.  (i.e., it wasn't kc's idea)

it's still supported (at the very least)
but i don't consider it a reasonable substitute
for the Right Way.

but then i don't see any other Reasonable Substitutes
for the Right Way (i.e.., beyond nanog-mailinglist)
gaining any traction, so i probably shouldn't
be so hard on it.
	http://www.caida.org/projects/ipnmoo/
	telnet://ipnmoo.caida.org:4766/
(note i moved it from www.caida.org:4766;
i'll get the web page fixed tomorrow)

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:33:28PM -0500, Jeff Mcadams wrote:

  Also sprach Sean Donelan
  >On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Steve Feldman wrote:
  >> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:55:26PM -0500, William Allen Simpson
  >> wrote:
  >> > Once upon a time, kc had a MOO -- we used to hang out there and
  >> > discuss things in real time....

  >> It's still there, but doesn't see much activity these days.

  >Yep, IPNMOO is still around, and some people use it.  NANOG is the
  >closest thing we have to a "all-hands" channel, but lots of people
  >don't like the signal to noise ratio.  I have my nocwire list, but its
  >mostly just interesting things sean saw on the net.  Individual
  >engineers use IRC, AIM, etc to communicate with people they know.

  >Its informal, but so far it has served us well.

  It might be worthwhile to post a pointer to this MOO.  There have been
  several posts about it, but no pointers on how to access it.

  I only have very limited experience with MUD's/MOO's/whatever, but I'm
  certainly willing to give it a shot if it helps inter-provider
  communication.
  Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm at iglou.com
  Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
  IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456