Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Wed Mar 13 18:22:58 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Although many of the principles are the same, there are differences
> between running a corporate network and a public network.  You can
> have the same people doing both.  In small ISPs its likely the same
> people will be doing both.  A larger company will have seperate groups
> because they serve different masters and have different measures of
> success.  A company may not want to pay for the same levels of
> reliablity and survivability for their corporate network as their
> public IP network.

The goals of the corporate network and the public IP network are often
different, at best. The corporate network is inevitably focused around
the needs of the business, including such irritations as file sharing,
printing, calender services, video conferencing, and other notoriously
secure (heh!) services.

The public IP network is focused by and large on providing a limited
number of services, and flinging packets around as fast as possible.

The clue behind the public IP network is almost always focused on the
network (often to the point of considering any systems involved to be
second class citizens "Why should I care if there's a system down? It
only matters if the network's down"[1])

The clue on the corporate network often doesn't care at all about the
network (beyond "is it running") - but really cares that their services
are deployed and accessible.

I think that Sean's right about the goals being different - but it's
more than just "reliability and survivability". The network and
enterprise markets are notably different, with different goals and
requirements.

Most vendors seem to have a very clear grasp on that - and I suspect
that it'll be another 5-10 years before we see any form of true
convergance (if not longer).

[1] This ignoring the fact that a down'd network monitoring system may
	cause all sorts of interesting side effects in viewing the network...