Brain registry or Host registry?

Paul Wouters paul at xtdnet.nl
Mon Mar 11 17:21:55 UTC 2002

Three weeks, seven tickets, and nine operators later it looks like I might
actually have my host records NSG4447-HST and NSJ4375-HST updated in the
next 48 hours. That's only 20 days after I've sent the first form, and 11
days since that old IP has been disconnected.

In short my problem was that I used hostnames like ns.xtdnet.nl for
com/net/org domains, registrered at NetSol. When NetSol split into the Baby
Registrars they still "owned" those records. However, protocol for the
people at NetSol (or Verisign or whatever) is that:

"We do not change the ip numbers of foreign hosts unless they ar the
 ones that were registrered with us. Please inform customer that entries
 served as pointers that goes back to the nl registry for the correct ip
 addresses. Our whois database [they're referring to www.verisign-grs.com]
 is not athorativ for .nl"

I spend the next 15 minutes telling them that nic.nl has no relation
whatsoever to com/net/org/internic, and that netsol still had records of
my stuff, that I wanted changed. When he wanted to point me to the nic.nl
Registrars, I pointed out to him that _I_ was a Registrar of nic.nl.
When finally guiding him to dutch only pages of www.nic.nl ('whois
xtdnet.nl at whois.nic.nl' went beyond the skills of the NetSol escalation
manager) and showing him the records for ns.xtdnet.nl, this guy suddenly
went "Oh, we can mirror that......". *sigh* I can see a very scalable
solution. "Let's manually change all modify requests for non com/net/org
nameserver objects." That must be a very scalable solution. I bet they
can get money from ICANN for doing that as well. No wonder RIR's are
bailing out on all this crap.

ObLessonLearned: For com/net/org, only use com/net/org based named for
                 nameservers.

Now I guess I have "24 upto 48 hours" to buy an M16 and fly to Virginia.

And in the inifitesmall chance that somewhere on this list is someone
from network solutions that actually understands more then the usual "we
need to stall as many customers as long as we can for added shareholder value",
you can have a look at my brand new shiny ticket of today's episode of
NetSol, 1-17GPVQ.

Paul, convinced that by the time he dies, Verisign will have problems
doing his grave locatinregistration for the NL.
--
"It takes a million monkeys at typewriters to write Shakespeare, but
 only a dozen monkeys at computers to run Network Solutions."

                                      --- Patrick Delahanty