Telco's write best practices for packet switching networks

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Fri Mar 8 16:02:05 UTC 2002

I'll step WAY OUT on this limb now :)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 08:39 , Ron da Silva wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:48:49AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> >>
> >> ...I don't think I can put it any more clearly. There has got
> >> to be a push from the USERS of this equipment (not just one user, all
> >> users) to get line rate, full packet filtering capability on ALL
> >> interfaces on EVERY router, everything from the smallest foundry or
> >> 1700
> >> to the largest 12416 or M160 or Avici. If users don't start asking for
> >> this 2 years ago it'll be another 4-5 years before its a reality. The
> >> vendors will NOT push forward on this without a significant cash
> >> incentive
> >> (like everyone saying: I need this so do it for me).
> >
> > So it appears that we are in agreemnet after all!  :-)  (And we've been
> > saying the above for at least 4 years now...)
>
> Since at least one vendor has got the message and ships hardware that
> *will* do line-rate filtering on high-speed interfaces, perhaps the
> answer is to modulate vendor selection accordingly. There's a
> significant cash incentive, for you, or at least a significant non-cash
> disincentive.

Locking yourself into one vendor could be considered a bad move :( You are
then locked into all their little quirky ways of doing things and you have
no recourse when their 'next great technology' isn't quite so great.

Additionally, perhaps the 'one good vendor' (and in my original note I
listed those vendors I could think of, not nceessarily those with
problems...) doesn't quite do everything you want either?

Its a sticky problem, basically having everyone who uses the equipment in
a big way shout the loudest possible that we need these basic filtering
requirements on all platforms is a good start. :)

So, anyone experienced the 3xGigE linecard filtering?? :) Talk about
enjoyable... the commands aren't even in the IOS filter with!!! SUPER
COOL!