Tauzin-Dingell (was ICANN)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Mar 7 16:54:51 UTC 2002

> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:34:59 -0500
> From: Jeff Mcadams <jeffm at iglou.com>

> I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks that these two things can be
> separated on this issue.  Sad, but true.

Agreed, alas.

What's scary is how short-sighted (IMHO) some of the Congress
are... I met Senator Brownback (KS) in 1999 or 2000, and asked
some questions re his standing on Telecommunications legislation.

In short, his attitude was "let the market forces work things
out, just like they did in the last several years".  No interest
in UNEs, who was classified as an ILEC, etc. -- nor do I think
any real understanding.  Market forces brought competition?  The
Bells just opened their networks?  Huh?

As much as I, too, hate to see NANOG degenerate into a political
forum, I think some awareness is necessary.

Maybe ISPs should write some "Local ISP Predicts Increasing Cost
of Internet Access" press releases?  Remember, keep it factual,
and attribute opinions to their holders... but the individuals
who will be affected -- access and hosting customers -- need to
hear more than one "interpretation" of what this legislation
means.

The funny thing is that many of us NANOGers are skilled enough
that, assuming a reasonable market, we _could_ find work in a
non-ISP environment if ILECs have their way.  Yes, many have more
than jobs (read: ownership in a company) at stake, but... all in
all, could make it through.

Not that I'd like that to happen, but it wouldn't be the end of
the world.  Just that Internet access customers would get the
worst deal of anyone...

The thing is, we independent "whiners" aren't even asking to be
subsidized by tax dollars, to outlaw any competitor that comes to
town, or to have Big Brother ensure our profitability.  Many of
us are just as willing to sell unbundled services as we are to
consume them.

Is a single standard for all too much to ask?

<frustrated thought>

Ah, let the bill pass.  Everyone just tell your customers "your
prices are going up and your service down when we are forced out
of business by the RBOC-driven legislation".  Have people mark
your words, and let people face the consequences of a Congress
that was swayed by the Bells.

</frustrated thought>

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence