fundamentalist's opinion-- Vixie-- Re: Sprint peering policy

jnelson jnelson at rackspace.com
Sun Jun 30 00:55:16 UTC 2002

While I do assert the validity of concerns for the economic repercussions as
a result of laissez-fair 'Internet' practices, I don't believe the sky is
falling. There is enough economic strength to maintain the use we actually
get out of necessary pipes, and continued growth will, in do time, support
the expansion predicted in the mid to late '90s. Will the shortfall take
with it some undeserving companies, peoples, and ideas, yes, but that has
been the nature of every economic boom. Legitimate claims can be made that
abusive peering policies can be detrimental to the free trade of ideas and
commerce, and may lead to monopolies that dwarf the infamy of Standard Oil,
AT&T, Debeers... but what is the cost? A government mandated (censorship and
exclusion of anti-American 3rd world countries aside) policy at this point
will more quickly downward spiral the rapid growth all us geeks have
embraced. The only thing that will cushion the blow at this point is
continued, if not growing, consumer use; and, the US government--if no
private company steps up--may have to buy out some pipes to protect the DOD
and primary Intercontinental connections. Any intervention, or escalation of
involvement, by the FCC,  for accountability and peering regulation, will
have to come after the dust settles, in the form of a free trade act aimed
at equal pricing for competitors. Have faith in the individual..

I realize this is off the page, so let me leave you with /rant.

--jeff