Vixie puts his finger squarely on the key issue Re: Sprintpeering policy

kookreport at hushmail.com kookreport at hushmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:44:17 UTC 2002

Gordon what did I tell you about posting to NANOG? Shouldn't you be busy uncovering ICANN conspiracies and interviewing Bill St. Arnaud for the 50th time? Can we look forward to a summary of this thread in your next report?

Gordon Cook wrote:
> Where is it possible to gain any reliable data on which networks are
> lit with what equipment and offering how many  actual lambdas?  Or

You friendly carrier sales rep?

> even how many fibers in a given back bone are actually lit?  We know

Who cares. Rest assured Gordon, when it is profitable to light them they'll be lit.

> there is huge unused capacity, yet because there are no reporting
> requirements as to what networks are lit to what capacity, we very
> likely don't know whether the fiber in the ground is being used to
> one per cent of its potential or 10% or even 20%.  Moreover we do not

It's being used to 3.14159% of its capacity, but the photon acceleration effects of GMPLS have yet to be fully realised. You can quote me on it.

> know the extent to which optical bandwidth is growing?  Not knowing
> this, how can anyone make any intelligent economic or policy  or
> investment decisions?  The LECs must tell the FCC numbers of lines in

Pop the stack Gordon. How can anyone make intelligent investment decisions when earnings reports are outright lies? Until that's straightened out counting the number of lit fibres is like counting the number of empty cages in an Exodus data centre.

> use and numbers of access minutes. The IP industry  must tell the FCC
> essentially nothing.  Why shoud such policy continue?

What does this have to do with layer 3 peering?

- Gordon "I wish I was George Gilder" Kook

Communicate in total privacy.