Sprint peering policy

ren ren at internet.rockstar.org
Sat Jun 29 13:21:23 UTC 2002

Perhaps broadband in the UK is different than in the US, but I can tell you
peering around the legacy networks has made a huge difference at the
network I peerlead for.  Customers are getting smart and have come to
discover 'Tier 1' is an empty status.  Networks evolve and traffic
sources/destinations shift.  Hunt for the growing traffic, not just a
network brand that may be in need of a facelift.

Steve, I hope you/Opal Telecom are looking into the Adlex tools.  Play with
the traffic tracker and find out who is in your top 10, top 20, etc.
circles at different times of the day/week.  Chase the band between 20&30
and see what a difference you can make in terms of performance for your
network.  It is amazing how quickly you can discover that some networks are
out there under multiple ASNs (legal and other reasons prevail) and when
peered with that 'entity' you can punt a former top 10 down a band.

Adlex, while expensive, can help prove your theory is inaccurate.  Adlex
has paid for itself in just a matter of months from my perspective <G>
-ren