Sprint peering policy

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Sat Jun 29 09:37:09 UTC 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Joseph T. Klein wrote:

> Mike alludes to something here that is not often discussed.

I thought this was discussed quite regularly round here and is well known?

> It can be argued that some conditions exists where a traditional backbone
> provider gets an economic value from peering, especially with large broadband
> providers. A broadband provider who takes a "hell no, I won't buy" attitude
> with a large tier 1 can drive Gigabits of traffic away from the tier 1's
> revenue stream by peering around that provider and directing traffic down
> paths that avoid the tier 1.

But bearing in mind that by peering they only see the provider and the
provider's customer's routes the tier1 would most likely have been receiving the
traffic anyway just via a different route (another tier1 providing transit to
the broadband operator)

"Peering around" only works if the networks the broadband provider wants to
reach are buying from another network that they can get peering with, as most
tier1's have similar i'll call it 'fascist' peering regimes they will not be
able to peer around.

They will of course be able to get peering with smaller providers but these are
individually small gains..

Steve