How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sat Jun 29 02:22:36 UTC 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Encryption of IM will probably be as wide-spread as encryption of e-mail,
> i.e. not very.  But with the existance of OpenSSL, implementing a SSL
> aware IM is just a small matter of code.

In case it's not a well-known project, I'll propose something I was
recently introduced to (Hi Scott!), silc.

http://www.silcnet.org/

"SILC has secure key exchange protocol that is used to create the session
keys for each connection. SILC also provides strong authentication based
on either passwords or public key authentication. All authentication data
is always encrypted in the SILC network. Each connection has their own
session keys, all channels have channel specific keys, and all private
messages can be secured with private message specific keys."

Easy to set up and use, and if you're familiar with irc, you can figure it
out quickly.

I'm quickly finding it to be most useful.

Now back to round 500 of the peering debate.

Charles