How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Thu Jun 27 01:30:43 UTC 2002

Thus spake "Scott Weeks" <surfer at mauislanwanman.com>
> Your proprietary information is on someone else's server and it's up to
> them not to 'use' it.

There are IM products which a company can set up internally for exactly this
reason.  For public IM servers, you're not obligated to give "proprietary
information" other than your email address.

> PSTN doesn't keep your info on a server or backed up somewhere.

I'm quite sure the telco has records of who I am and where I live, and they
"use" that information on a regular basis to bill me.  They also sell the
information to others and a variety of other things they're allowed to do by
law.  Yahoo and AOL are benign by comparison.