How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

Scott Weeks surfer at mauislanwanman.com
Thu Jun 27 01:01:20 UTC 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Rizzo Frank wrote:

: Chris,
:
: By "IM" I assume you're referring to Instant Messaging as an ideal, not
: any particular protocol or vendor implementation.  Which begs the
: question, is "IM" is a risk because Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO a
: self-proclaimed tier 1 provider, says so, or because you have facts to
: prove it, which you neglected to post?  IRC and AIM have been
: scrutinized pretty heavily and I can't think of any inherent flaws
: (other than lack of out-of-box for support for encryption... but is the
: PSTN really any more secure?).  Just buggy clients under-educated users
: opt to install.

Your proprietary information is on someone else's server and it's up to
them not to 'use' it.  PSTN doesn't keep your info on a server or backed
up somewhere.  Don't be so snippy in public.  Do it in private if you
must do it...

scott