not the depeering thread again... (RE: How low can Worldcom stock go?)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed Jun 26 16:32:19 UTC 2002

VM> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:29:05 -0400
VM> From: Vivien M.

VM> Don't get me started on what C&W did to the Exodus backbone.
VM> It used to be that from our servers to my cable modem at
VM> home, it was Exodus -> Teleglobe -> Rogers. Now, after a
VM> massive round of depeering, it's Exodus -> C&W -> Sprint ->
VM> Teleglobe -> Rogers. It's like that with pretty much
VM> everything: you used to have some networks who peered
VM> directly with Exodus, now traffic to them goes through C&W
VM> and UUnet first, etc.

The question is how it affects the bottom line.  I have a client
who used to colo at Exodus.  After being quoted in excess of
$1500 to set up BGP (!), refusal to cross-connect, and seeing the
effects of the depeering, they bailed, and asked us to help build
a network the right way so that they can _compete_ with Exodus.

I doubt this is an isolated incident.

What goes around comes around.  As much as I'll whine about the
stupidity of excessive depeering, my capitalist side loves it...
it's much easier to set up a network with routes far superior
than those who decide to force traffic the long way.

Don't whine.  Take customers away.  It's much more productive.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national