packet inspection and privacy

batz batsy at vapour.net
Mon Jun 24 18:07:57 UTC 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Mark Kent wrote:

:I recently claimed that, in the USA, there is a law that prohibits an
:ISP from inspecting packets in a telecommunications network for
:anything other than traffic statistics or debugging.

A similar sentiment was expressed in a presentation at a conference
recently by a lawyer, in regards to Canadian law.  He(?) suggested
that IDS in its current form contravened data interception laws, and
maybe some labour laws, I can't remember off hand.

Also, debugging and meta-data (mail and packet headers) may be
an exception, but only because of of a possible interpretation of this
meta-data as equivalent to a postal address or or phone caller information.

This may ultimately be the correct interpretation, but it will depend on
the influence of the person whose opinion it is. :) It doesn't matter
whether you or I think that packet instpection is a legitimate form of
network debugging. It matters whether a judge does.

Or maybe in this case, a lawyer.

--
batz