Bet on with my boss

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sat Jun 22 00:20:17 UTC 2002

> It took her 35 minutes to correct the issue.

That's my "Rule of Nine," to wit: It takes nine times as long over the
phone as it does in person.  Where "it" consists of fixing something by
typing commands.

I fixed a bunch of badly destroyed disk mirrors once, at 3 a.m., with my
eyes closed, lying in bed.  Took 45 minutes.  Would have taken 5 minutes if
I were "driving".  (But it couldn't reach the machine directly myself, so I
stayed in bed and talked someone else through it.)