Null Routing Spews (Re: SPEWS?)

Drew Linsalata drew at gothambus.com
Fri Jun 21 12:55:06 UTC 2002

> if SPEWS behavior is abusive towards a network, that network does
> have a limited recourse: null-route SPEWS.

Looks like at least one person recently has had the same idea:

  http://www.anti-spews.org

Seems like a tough road to hoe.  By null routing entire netblocks associated
with SPEWS, I'd guess that the folks providing bandwidth, DNS, etc. for
SPEWS would be more likely to cave to the pressure long before the SPEWS
admins themselves.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that null routing might present all
kinds of legal issues, but at least those might force SPEWS out of hiding to
address them.  Who knows?

- Drew