SPEWS?

David Charlap David.Charlap at marconi.com
Thu Jun 20 21:01:20 UTC 2002

Dan Hollis wrote:

> Its my box, my hardware, my property. No one has an inherent right
> to force speech on an unwilling recipient.

If you're installing a blacklist on a mail server you keep at home for
yourself, then yes.

If you're running an ISP with thousands of customers, then you also have
to deal with how you're impacting them.  Sure, it may still be your
equipment, but that won't matter if you tick off your paying customers
and they decide to cancel their accounts and go to your competitors.

Blackholing grandma because a spammer uses the same ISP isn't going to
be an easy thing to get your customers to accept.

-- David