SPEWS?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Jun 20 17:12:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Clayton Fiske wrote:

> > I agree with that, *if* initial notifications to the ISP are ignored.
> > Escalations are then in order, definitely.
>
> I fail to see how blacklisting neighboring subnets (not associated with
> the organization in question) instead of just the offending one is "in
> order".

Let me clarify, then.

If the offending ISP does not respond, and you have exhausted all avenues
available to you to get the ISP to get its customer to stop spamming -
whether by TOS'ing the customer, education or whatever - then escalation
may work if the collateral damage caused by escalation is enough to get
the spammers' neighbors to complain to the ISP.

This principle is based on the fact that an ISP is more likely to listen
to its paying customers than to outsiders.

And I don't think this is a potential solution only for spam; it is
appropriate (IMESHO) in other abusive situations too.

I don't advocate doing it unless you have tried all other reasonable
methods to get in touch with the ISP and ask them to disconnect or
otherwise educate their customer.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO  JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
- I do my best work with one of my cockatiels sitting on each shoulder -