SPEWS?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Jun 20 12:40:11 UTC 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> I'll admit, we had an issue with a customer who spammed, and it took us a
> little while to zap him.

Quantify "a little while". (I'm not trying to be argumentative here...)

> Nevertheless, he was zapped. He had a /27, and
> SPEWs listed the entire /24 surrounding it. When I asked about this, they
> said, in not-so-many-words, that by doing this, punishing innocent
> bystanders, that as long as the ISP noticed and fixed the issue, this was
> essentially OK to do.

I agree with that, *if* initial notifications to the ISP are ignored.
Escalations are then in order, definitely.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO  JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
- I do my best work with one of my cockatiels sitting on each shoulder -