39/8 ?

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Thu Jun 20 05:20:26 UTC 2002

 net 39 was used to validate the CIDR-style of addressing.
 I was instructed to host the nameservers for the prefix
 and there was an experiment to announce various fragments
 of the space.  You can find the experiment and its results
 in the RFC archives.
 Since that experiment, ARIN came into being as has ICANN.
 They have apparently seen fit to move the prefix back into
 reserved space, but have not "cleaned" up the DNS delegation.

 You may think of this announcemnt as a "network appendix", of
 little intrinsic value.  You may also find that its a reasonable
 way to validate your filters...

-- bill
(still waiting for the other shoe to drop...)