SPEWS?

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Thu Jun 20 04:21:29 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:14:28PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> Quite.
>
> Since my last posting, I've told SpamAssassin (which, btw, is a rocking
> piece of ware) to count osirussoft (sp?) as a 0 point rule.

which is not the correct thing to do.

1) If you don't like SPEWS/Osirusoft, set the score to 0 on your server
   Quite honestly, I don't think you'll convince the SA developers to set
   the score to 0.

2) You seem to be missing the entire point of SpamAssassin, it allows you to
   combine several  RBLs and only  reject/flag the Email if  several factors
   combined hint that the message is spam

3) Osirusoft returns 8 different codes depending on the match for an IP
   http://relays.osirusoft.com/faq.html
   If you don't like SPEWS, just don't pay attention to 127.0.0.6

Stick this in local.cf:
header X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE    eval:check_rbl_results_for('osirusoft', '127.0.0.6')
describe X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE  Don't trust spews
score X_OSIRU_SPAMWARE_SITE     -2.0

Marc
(SpamAssassin developer)