SPEWS?

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jun 20 03:12:55 UTC 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> I've had a little run-in with SPEWS, and the crowd on
>
> I'm curious; do folks take these guys serious?

You don't have much choice.  I don't know how commonly SPEWS itself is
used to refuse email, but for some times it's been incorporated into
relays.osirusoft.com, which, AFAIK, is one of the more commonly used
dnsbl's.  If you're listed in SPEWS, lots of sites will refuse your email.

NANAE is a tough crowd.  According to some there, I'm a spammer.

> I'll admit, we had an issue with a customer who spammed, and it took us a
> little while to zap him. Nevertheless, he was zapped. He had a /27, and
> SPEWs listed the entire /24 surrounding it. When I asked about this, they
> said, in not-so-many-words, that by doing this, punishing innocent
> bystanders, that as long as the ISP noticed and fixed the issue, this was
> essentially OK to do.

I'm curious how you got into SPEWS, and why they chose to hit just the /24
and not a much larger block.  They claim to track and pre-emptively block
known spammers.  Was this a new customer that recently switched to your
service and likely spammed before and got their previous ISP into
SPEWS?...or was this an isolated spam incident followed by a surprise
listing in SPEWS?

 Atlantic Net                |