ICANN requirement for "information refreshing"?

Martin Hannigan hannigan at fugawi.net
Wed Jun 19 17:55:07 UTC 2002

>  I only recall two subpoenas for _just_ domain names.  The rest always had more
> info, like email headers or IP addresses.

Here's a good example of why it's a waste of LEA/LEO's time to be
looking at WHOIS data:

Below is the data for my personal domain. I am the only one who
uses it. The only one who is responsible for it. My friend, who
doubles as a registrar, "registers" it for me.

Looks perfectly accurate to me and this is how it will be
"updated", but in order to find out it's me, LEA has to
send a subpoena to get the information i.e. who are the
account holders, where are they, where do they pay their bills
from, etc. etc.

Registrant:
Where The Fugawi (FUGAWI2-DOM)
   3300 Irvine Ave, #385
   Newport Beach, CA 92660
   US

   Domain Name: FUGAWI.NET

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Barrow, Michael  (MB144)		michael at MLBARROW.COM
      mlbarrow.com
      1415A Harbor View Drive
      Santa Barbara, CA  93103
      US
      949-885-1802 781-240-5836

   Record expires on 24-Aug-2002.
   Record created on 23-Aug-1997.
   Database last updated on 19-Jun-2002 13:48:52 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.IJDOMAINS.COM            12.44.117.72
   NS2.IJDOMAINS.COM            65.107.235.169

As far as my statement about a whois record being "junk", I mean
it's junk to LEAs. Honestly? Is this more accurate than a
dig on ns, mx, soa and a traceroute to find out what REALLY
is going on here?

-M