BGP communities usage for route origin, entry point

Bruno Quoitin bqu at infonet.fundp.ac.be
Wed Jun 19 08:32:19 UTC 2002

You can find an analysis of the utilization of communities found in
routing tables collected by RIPE RIS and RouteViews at
http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be/doc/reports/Infonet-TR-2002-02.pdf. In
this analysis we show two things: (1) communities tend to be widely used
and (2) communities are used for route tagging (for instance to remember
where a route has been issued and traffic engineering purposes (for
instance to influence how a peer will redistribute our routes).

The results of the analysis are available from
http://alpha.infonet.fundp.ac.be/anabgp

By the way, we have presented our work during the last NANOG meeting in
Toronto. The slides are available from
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0206/bruno.html

Bruno.