ICANN requirement for "information refreshing"?

Jake Baillie jake at priva.com
Tue Jun 18 23:25:11 UTC 2002

At 07:09 PM 6/18/2002 -0400, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>On searching the ICANN-Verisign contract at the ICANN site, I could find
>no requirement for refreshing. I'm concerned this may be a covert
>marketing activity, since the web page for "refreshing" very easily could
>have led me into buying services from Verisign. This seems to be of
>operational interest to service providers hosting domains, if
>Verisign/Netsol can confuse people into shifting their service to them.

(from ICANN Registrar Accreditation Agreement -
http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-17may01.htm):

3.4.1 During the Term of this Agreement, Registrar shall maintain its own
electronic database, as updated from time to time, containing data for each
active Registered Name sponsored by it within each TLD for which it is
accredited. The data for each such registration shall include the elements
listed in Subsections 3.3.1.1 through 3.3.1.8; the name and (where
available) postal address, e-mail address, voice telephone number, and fax
number of the billing contact; and any other Registry Data that Registrar
has submitted to the Registry Operator or placed in the Registry Database
under Subsection 3.2.

I guess you could consider that email as an attempt to "maintain" their
database. That being said, the email I received contains a link which sends
me to their homepage. Not very helpful if you're clueless about such matters.

-- jb