ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Jun 18 21:47:10 UTC 2002

At 05:29 PM 6/18/02, Stephen Griffin wrote:
>In the referenced message, Daniel Senie said:
> >
> > At 02:30 PM 6/18/02, Lou Katz wrote:
><snip>
> > >Is this common?
> >
> > I have a CDPD card which has a fixed address. It's from Verizon Wireless.
> > There's no INADDR. There seems to be a lack of understanding and clue all
> > around on INADDR, which is the motivation for the above-mentioned draft.
> > Having something to point network operators and server operators to would,
> > IMO, help.
>
>The lack of clue tends to be on the providing in-addr side of things.
>I think it is a great thing to refuse connections from ips without
>in-addr, in the same way it is great to refuse mail from domains that
>don't provide postmaster addresses.
>
>It is a means through which one can influence the laziness of others.
>Simply disregarding what others do, only legitimizes the laziness, and
>continues us along the road of everyone doing the absolute minimum.

While I believe people SHOULD be providing INADDR service, the people hurt
by refusing connections are rarely the ones who have any influence. Just as
Network Address Translation is not a security solution, neither is checking
INADDR. Now if you check INADDR over Secure DNS, you might start having
some level of information to trust.

>Simply accepting the connections seems to be a "path of least resistance"
>which befits a pointy-hair more than an engineer.

Well, this engineer also has customers to take care of. Those customers
cannot easily influence ATT Broadband or ATT Wireless to do things "right".
So, I choose to keep having customers rather than closing down my business
over others not having INADDR.

> > >--
> > >I suppose I could set up a bogus reverse for him, but, feh...
> >
> > Either you set up something, or you can make your server not care about
> > reverse, or lose the customer.
>
>You neglect to include the option of the customer changing to an ISP
>that provides in-addr.

Please explain how a customer changes to another broadband vendor, or
another CDPD vendor. Despite your company's presence in a limited number of
markets, there are MANY people out there with only one choice (if they're
lucky) for broadband. I'd be more likely to lose a customer than get them
to change ISPs.
Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com