ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue Jun 18 18:51:16 UTC 2002

At 02:30 PM 6/18/02, Lou Katz wrote:

>A client of mine just discovered that he could no longer do ftp
>transfers to my machine. His IP address had changed to one in
>12.240.20 and there is no reverse DNS for that block. His
>previous assignment was in a totally different block which did
>have reverse DNS. Calls to ATTBI got the answer that they
>are not obligated to provide reverse DNS and have no plans to
>do so. My servers refuse connections when there is no reverse
>lookup.

Your server is using this INADDR lookup for what purpose? Security?

INADDR is a really good idea for network operators to be using, and a
really BAD idea for server operators to use as a security mechanism. Fix
your server to be less anal.

read draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-03.txt from your favorite Internet
Drafts archive for additional information on this subject.

>Is this common?

I have a CDPD card which has a fixed address. It's from Verizon Wireless.
There's no INADDR. There seems to be a lack of understanding and clue all
around on INADDR, which is the motivation for the above-mentioned draft.
Having something to point network operators and server operators to would,
IMO, help.

>--
>I suppose I could set up a bogus reverse for him, but, feh...

Either you set up something, or you can make your server not care about
reverse, or lose the customer.

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com