remember the "diameter of the internet"?

brett watson brett at the-watsons.org
Tue Jun 18 18:38:31 UTC 2002

--On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 6:39 PM +0000 "E.B. Dreger"
<eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net> wrote:

> That's what happened here.  Rather than transitting the traffic
> via a "last resort" across town/state, the higher local-pref of a
> "local" peer won.
>
> Geography requirements for peers aren't inherently bad.  There's
> a point where things get extreme, but it would be nice to see
> nationals peer in the south as well.  If one has peering
> requirements, at least set them to reach a positive goal...

man, i threw the can-o-worms out for fun, i didn't expect anyone to
actually *open* it.

this all has nothing whatsoever to do with bgp.  it has everything to do
with politics and revenue.  the bgp decision tree is being manipulated by
human nature.

now drop the can before someone yells at me for throwing it in the first
place.