ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

brett watson brett at the-watsons.org
Tue Jun 18 18:31:21 UTC 2002

--On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:30 AM -0700 Lou Katz <lou at metron.com> wrote:

> A client of mine just discovered that he could no longer do ftp
> transfers to my machine. His IP address had changed to one in
> 12.240.20 and there is no reverse DNS for that block. His
> previous assignment was in a totally different block which did
> have reverse DNS. Calls to ATTBI got the answer that they
> are not obligated to provide reverse DNS and have no plans to
> do so. My servers refuse connections when there is no reverse
> lookup.
>
> Is this common?

yes, i've had similar problems with cox both when i had cox at work business
service, and now that i have cox at home residential service.

this feeds right into the thread that branched off my post about "network
diameter" in which people are talking about "clue factor".  these networks
spring up overnight, built by people who are missing some of the
fundamental knowledge about how all this "stuff" works.  and we're stuck
with it as end users.

-b