spare fibers

Martin Hannigan hannigan at fugawi.net
Mon Jun 17 10:23:29 UTC 2002

At 07:44 AM 6/17/2002 +0300, Rafi Sadowsky wrote:

>## On 2002-06-16 15:04 -0400 blitz typed:
>
>b>
>b>
>b> Hi Daniel and all,
>b> Yes, multiple fiber in multiple conduits, traveling multiple paths is the
>b> best way to insure something's going to have connectivity.
>b> Ring topology is what I've seen mostly for best protection, if something
>b> goes down, restoration takes milliseconds and is automatic.
>
> >>  Worst case, is
>b> some contractor digs up the place where your fiber enters your building and
>b> severs everything....not much you can do about that kind of outage.
>
>Why not? -
>
>  IMHO If you already get diverse carriers splitting them between say
>the front and the back of the building shouldn't be that hard

Many non colo buildings, old, or otherwise, don't have two 0 manholes,
don't have the riser infrastructure, etc. etc.

If you aren't already a carrier, you could end up spending a whole
of money on conduit leases, facilities leases, and commitments to
carriers that have to dig out from a diverse manhole, fees to the landlord
for boring the foundation and building the entrance facilities..etc.

Landlords today are very smartly getting involved in owning the core
infrastructure <splice boxes, cross connects, conduit> and leasing
it back to business, net, and carrier companies.

Regards,

Martin Hannigan                    hannigan at fugawi.net