spare fibers

Frank Coluccio fcoluccio at dticonsulting.com
Sun Jun 16 22:42:31 UTC 2002

Almost without exception, "ring topology" implies a single-carrier doing physical
layer provisioning and support. In the case where multiple points are under
attack in a concerted effort to knock out service (including the failover
capabilities), it's either an "inside job" or, at the least, one where
intelligence relating to individual SONET backbones and rings has been obtained
from various sources for the purpose of thwarting such _self-healing_
capabilities that are usually afforded by SONET/SDH.

In the not too distant past (during the pre-sonet and early SONET days when N+1
automatic protection switching was used instead of counter-rotating recovery
schemes) we saw this occur, albeit infrequently, during periods of labor unrest
and other tense forms of situations relating to competition (where folks feared
for their jobs) along the NY-NJ corridor and in certain parts of California, to
name just two that I recall off the top of my head. Until recently (post 9-11),
however, it was hardly a matter of overwhelming concern. Today it is becoming
more so a matter of heightened concern. Meshing through the use of diverse
providers' facilities may prove to be the ultimate means of protection, with the
proviso being that those providers are not all sharing the same physical routes.
fwiw.

FAC