Error in assignments....?

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Thu Jun 13 00:55:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Joe Provo wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:00:41PM +0200, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
> [snip]
> > Ok, my fault. I ment to say route object. However, I fail to see why (if)
> > you would like to allow the same route to source from muliple AS:es....
>
> The easy answer is that there is trash in the IRR.

This is correct.

> When looking a little
> closer or talking about a well-run source DB consider the consolidation
> of multiple ASNs, customers getting their BGP training wheels, etc other
> typical origin changes. To smooth over any origin changes, it makes
> sense to get route objects in at least a day or two in advance; if you're
> doing large scale projects long-term overlaps are not at all uncommon.

These are operationally valid cases where multiple route objects might
exist for a single prefix (as opposed to errors such as left over cruft).

> If you think of the IRR as a 'flight plan' or the list of "intended
> possibilities" then it makes more sense than trying to treat it as a
> strict tracking of the live BGP table state. The latter would bring you
> nothing but woe.

Agreed.

For good reason you shouldn't be able to delete other networks route
objects.  Correspondingly it is left to each network to clean up their own
registrations.  This can be hard when the company in question no longer
exists per se.  (CRL was acquired by Applied Theory which filed for
bankruptcy, whose assets were recently acquired by Fastnet.)

The IRRs don't check third party sources for validation of route objects
and even if they did the address registries don't map prefixes to AS
numbers.  This is an interesting subject to think about, however many of
the solutions end up being very complicated like S-BGP if they try to
address every issue.

Mike.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 510 580 4100 |
| Hurricane Electric       Web Hosting  Colocation         Fax 510 580 4151 |
| mleber at he.net                                           http://www.he.net |