Survey: Peering Staffing Levels

David Diaz dave at smoton.net
Wed Jun 12 22:38:14 UTC 2002

Andy,

What I have seen (and what I have in fact done) was handle the
peering negotiations, usually this needs to be an executive level
person.  In fact Dwight is right, it's usually someone that
understands the vision of the network, and the company moving
forward, with some skill to help translate this into a business case
for the CFO types.

You then have a peering implementation engineer that will coordinate
the config of the routers and provisioning of the circuits, or VPI
VCIs etc etc.

The implementation person may actually have an assistant.  The
training is considered valuable and it provides a measure of backup.
Nowadays you almost need a regulatory person also.

If I were prone to humor I might say some ISPs lately have DE-peering
engineer....

David

--

David Diaz